Ridership on the Rise!
One year in, Cap Remap has done what it promised — created a more frequent, more reliable and better connected bus system. It’s improved the customer’s experience by tripling the number of routes that come every 15 minutes, 7 days a week and by increasing bus stop accessibility, with new sidewalks and more bus shelters for previously underserved communities.
Ridership Since Cap Remap:
- Up 8.9% in July 2019
- Up 4.5% for the full year
- Up 11 of 12 months
We brought the on-demand service Pickup back for CapMetro customers in Austin and Manor.
Residents of four Austin neighborhoods got to benefit from Pickup in August 2019:
- Pickup East ATX
- Pickup Exposition
- Pickup Northeast ATX
- Pickup Walnut Creek
Pickup Manor replaced a low-performing circulator route and was a hit right away, already increasing the route’s daily ridership numbers by 600%!
A Busy 2019 Brings Great Results
It’s been an incredibly productive time for CapMetro, with a healthy mix of hard
work and big rewards:
- Approved the purchase of the first four electric buses in Central Texas.
- Received $2.6 million grant enabling us to increase the size of our electric bus fleet to 10.
- Began work on a new bus yard for electric buses, with charging stations for 214 vehicles.
- Broke ground on our new Downtown Station!
- Added new track and other improvements that will increase MetroRail’s capacity.
- Partnered with Austin Parks Foundation to increase summer service to Barton Springs.
- Named 2019 Agency of the Year by the Texas Transit Association!
And the Hits Just Kept on Coming
There’s so much happening with transportation in Central Texas! Get a load of this:
- Launched the first bus-only contraflow lane in partnership with the city of Austin.
- Provided free rides for federal employees during government shutdown.
- Opened new MetroRapid Stations along both lines, including Broken Spoke & 31st Street.
- Re-launched MetroBike Shelter program with no annual fee.
- Built new Operations Control Center, for more efficient and effective bus operations.
- Received national safety award from American Public Transportation Association.
More Options • Better Transit • Serving More People
Project Connect will build on the foundation of Cap Remap and provide Central Texas a modern system of reliable and efficient public transit.
- 2 lines of congestion-proof transit to better move people through downtown and connect ABIA to the larger system.
- Fully electric fleet that provides dramatically lower emissions and modern technology to maintain our high quality of life.
- More Park & Rides and Express Routes: Plus mobility hubs and neighborhood circulators throughout the region.
New MetroRapid lines that will serve the entire city, including these corridors:
- Tech Ridge
- 7th Street
- Pleasant Valley
- South Lamar
The Community’s Plan
For Project Connect to work, we need your help. Here’s what we’ve been up to in the community:
- 101 — community meetings held across 20 zip codes
- 2,288 — visits received to our virtual open houses
- 595 — comments collected from those visits
A Long-Term Vision Already in Action
Project Connect is a generational investment that is already improving Central Texas today!
- Westgate Transit Center opened in June, removing up to 200 cars from the road.
- In March, Downtown Station began renovations that will increase the frequency and capacity of MetroRail service!
- A new facility in North Austin will make space for our all-electric bus fleet of the future.