Tomorrow, the Austin City Council will commemorate the 20th anniversary of the ADA by presenting a proclamation to the Austin Mayor’s Committee for People with Disabilities. This proclamation will recognize several local businesses (including Capital Metro) for their accessibility, welcoming attitude and spirit of the ADA.
The winners include Austin Community College South Austin Campus, Barton Creek Mall Customer Service, and Westgate Regal Theater II.
Capital MetroRail is receiving an Honorable Mention award for its station and vehicle accessibility. Some of the accessibility features of MetroRail include:
- Station ramps and low-floor boarding
- Station announcements are both audible and displayed visually
- Braille signage on station platforms and ticket vending machines
- Raised, textured border strip alerts passengers they are near the station platform edge.
- Ticket vending machines are fully accessible by people in wheelchairs, and include visual (English and Spanish), audible (English and Spanish) and Braille information.
The presentation will begin around 5:30 tomorrow in City Hall Council Chambers. You can also watch live on Channel 6.