“After much thought and deliberation, we believe Linda is the right person to lead Capital Metro moving forward at this critical time,” said Mayor Pro Tem Mike Martinez, Chairman of the Board. “We also took into consideration the feedback we received from the community; it has further solidified our choice. I want to thank the community for providing valuable input into this process.”
Watson is Chief Executive Officer of LYNX, the Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority in Orlando, covering more than 2,500 square miles. Prior to joining LYNX, she served as the General Manager of the Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority and previously was the Assistant General Manager of the Fort Worth Transportation Authority. She has more than 25 years of transportation related experience.
Watson is the past chair of the Transportation Research Board, a past member of the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) Executive Committee, a lifetime National Associate of the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences and a past member of the Texas Transportation Institute Advisory Council.
She is currently serving on the:
- Board of the National Transit Institute at Rutgers University
- Board of the University of Florida, Center for Multi-Modal Solutions for Congestion Mitigation
- Board of the Florida Public Transportation Association
- Transit Research Analysis Committee which serves as an adviser to the Federal Transit Administration on their strategic agenda for transit research
- Board for ITS America, the leading advocate for technologies that improve the safety, security and efficiency of the nation’s surface transportation system
Watson graduated from the University of Texas at Arlington with a B.A. in Political Science and an M.A. in Urban and Regional Affairs and was recently honored as a “Distinguished Alumni.”
In January 2010, the Capital Metro Board of Directors contracted with Gilbert Tweed Associates to conduct a comprehensive nationwide search to fill the President/Chief Executive Officer position.