Happy New Year, everyone! All of Capital Metro joins me in wishing you a happy and prosperous 2009.
Like a lot of people, I tend to become introspective at the end of each year, analyzing all I did and didn’t accomplish during the previous year. It’d be interesting to get a feel for Capital Metro’s 2008–like a top ten list of big events that shaped transportation in Austin. Off the top of my head I can name a few. Perhaps you can help me flesh it out.
In no particular order:
* We opened a brand new (and award-winning) facility, the South Congress Transit Center.
* Four dollar gasoline sent ridership through the roof.
* We increased Capital Metro’s base fare for the first time in our history.
* We completed the lion’s share of work to bring Capital MetroRail to fruition and set a firm start-up date.
* Major changes were proposed to the MetroAccess program.
What else would you add to the list? What is your hope for Capital Metro in 2009?