The evening starts at 6 p.m. when crowds gather on the south steps of the Capitol to sing the songs of the season during John Aielli’s Holiday Sing-Along. As the clock chimes 7 p.m., the countdown to the lighting of the Capitol tree begins – this year featuring a new 40 foot tree with lights programmed to local Holiday music.
From 7 to 9 p.m. Congress Ave. will be abuzz with holiday cheer during the Downtown Stroll. Shops, restaurants, galleries, and museums will be open late and will feature art installations, special activities, offers or refreshments to visitors. Highlight of this year’ s Stroll include:
- Congress Avenue Lights: a project that will light all 136 trees on The Main Street of Texas from Lady Bird Lake to the Capitol, 365 days a year.
- Congress Avenue will be illuminated with site-specific projections by Austin-based video, gaming and light artists, curated by artist and VJ Stephen Fishman
- Holiday Gals with Marcia Ball, Christine Albert and Sarah Elizabeth Campbell at Frost Bank Plaza
- Santa at the State Theatre and Classic Holiday Cartoons at the Paramount
- And more! Check downtownaustinholidays.com for a full schedule of events
All events are free and open to the public, but if you can please support fellow members of the community by bringing non-perishable food or cash contribution to support the Capital Area Food Bank. Celebrate the Season Downtown!